Igreja de São Cláudio de Nogueira

Religious Heritage

On the outskirts of the city of Viana do Castelo, where green fills the landscape and the tranquillity overwhelms us, we find the Church of São Cláudio. This is a perfect example of religious construction, of the 11th to 13th centuries, in rural areas in the north of the country. You should know that this church belonged to the monastery of São Cláudio, of the Order of São Bento, a small, rural and poor convent and therefore features simple and modest lines! Classified as a national monument, it incorporates the Romanesque architecture of the Alto Minho, in which are distinguished the triumphal arch decorated with spears and pearls, and in the capitals, figures of animals eating men. The monastery was closed in 1531 and the church was restored in the 20th century, more precisely in 1949. Enjoy and take a walk, enjoy the surrounding nature and breathe in the good countryside air!
Contactos

Viana do Castelo (Viana do Castelo)

41.72995, -8.72515